191 pages / October 2016 / 1,400 yen (w/o tax)
The president of successful game company, BANDAI NAMCO reveals the most important concept for any top business person
Shukuo Ishikawa joined BANDAI NAMCO Holdings 38 years ago, and after being appointed president persevered through a 30 billion yen deficit. However, he has always focused on “how to create a hit”- and working with “hit makers,” regardless of the circumstances. Ishikawa believes that hit products are not the result of genius or ability; rather, they are born of the passion of one individual. For example, no matter how much resistance you get from your superiors or peers, whether or not you have the confidence to carry your project through to completion greatly affects your results. This is because big successes aren’t produced by the mainstream. In other words, “Many people can produce hit products, but very few can produce smash hits.” This principle is evident in any business enterprise. Successes that live on in the history of the company or industry are produced by those few who persevere even when 7 out of 10 people oppose them. That’s precisely why you should not consider a lack of support for your ideas and way of thinking an obstacle, but a motivator to tackle the challenge at full speed. This book will guide you through how to embrace being in the minority, and provide you with the “reckless advice” you need to confidently work towards great success. Many of you – especially those who “make things” as I do – may feel you aren’t getting the results you expected at work, or maybe you wish to be better recognized for the work you’ve done. You may also wish to be involved in work that suits you better, or that is more enjoyable. If you feel this way, this book will clear a new path for you.
Chapter One: Hits are generated by the mainstream, smash hits come from the subculture
– Go from being a hit maker to a smash hit maker
– How did the smash hit Crocodile Panic come about?
– When you are stuck on an idea, take notes in the middle of the night
– What was the inspiration behind cola-flavored potato chips?
– Go to a supermarket early in the morning to clear your senses
Chapter Two: Charge forward boldly
– Break through the boundaries of common sense
– “Cool” is a complex mix of sharpness and coarseness
– In any occupation, be self-driven
– Create a theoretical enemy if you want to grow
– What important lesson do leaders learn from receiving a 10,000-yen “mini bonus?”
Chapter Three: Prioritize fun over figures
– Why is there a “Chief Gundam Officer”?
– Don’t react to the market so much that you are chasing it
– There’s more value in subjective than objective (numerical) superiority
– Choose a day and time for a fixed-point observation of customers and employees
Chapter Four: The people who’ve failed are the ones who evolve
– What can you learn from NHK’s year-end special, Yukutoshi Kurutoshi?
– Three principal mindsets that are strong against adversity: “Whatever,” “So what?” and “To each his own”
– Dialing down your intensity will enhance concentration
– Overwhelming ideas lead not only to hardship, but also to breakthroughs
As a game, anime and toy lover I’d long wondered how Bandai Namco could continually put out so many hit products. Wanting to hear more about it, I pursued Shukuo Ishikawa doggedly about working on a book together. As president of the company, Ishikawa is known not only for developing Crocodile Panic but also for restoring the company’s overall performance. I thought a successful man like him would surely have an austere presence, but I found him to be a very warm-hearted individual. Once you get him talking, his eyes and demeanor change instantly as he speaks from the point of view of a president of a successful company. I also got a lot out of our meetings together – many things I actually hope to apply to my own career as a publisher. He taught me important concepts that businesspeople should never forget. I recommend this book to people in any line of work, but especially to those like me who “make things” for a living. This book will undoubtedly inspire fundamental change in you.